From making the decision to place your elder loved one under the care of someone else, to investigating suspicions of neglect or abuse, to seeking justice for elder family members who have been victim to neglect or abuse, there are many wonderful resources available for every aspect of caring for your elder loved ones. Some are more useful, and more reliable than others. Here at the Meyer Elder Law Firm, we have put together some resources that we think will be useful for your elder care needs.
Colorado Elder Care Resources – These websites contain information that may help your care for your elder loved ones, with information that is specific to Colorado.
- Senior Law Handbook 2020 Edition.
- Colorado Coalition for Elder Rights & Abuse Prevention – CCERAP is a tremendous resource for elder care rights.
- Colorado Long-Term Care Ombudsman – a Colorado statewide advocacy program for residents of long-term care facilities.
- Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment – Information on public health, including elder care, in Colorado
- DPPHE Nursing Homes – CO Dept of Public Health and Environement information on nursing homes.
- Colorado Nursing Home Complaint Process – CO Dept. of Public Health and Environment information on how to file a complaint with the state of Colorado about a nursing home.
- Medicare Tool for Comparing Nursing Homes – This tool can help you compare nursing homes using information gathered by Medicare.
- Medicare Nursing Home Checklist – This resource is a valuable tool to help compare nursing homes as you tour different facilities.
- “Your Guide to Choosing a Nursing Home” from Medicare
- AARP Elder Watch – Resources on Elder Abuse from the Colorado Attorney General and the AARP.
- Comparing assisted living facilities
- Senior Advisor Great locator service for your senior services
- Check on Colorado Health Department violations for home care, nursing home and assisted living facilities.
National Elder Care Resources – Each of these websites provides information about elder care that is not state specific.
- Nursing Home Watch List. – A listing of nursing homes by state, with quality ratings.
- The Worst Nursing Homes. Produced by Medicare, a listing of nursing homes that have performed especially badly in inspections.
- The National Center on Elder Abuse An outstanding, comprehensive resource on elder abuse.
- The Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care Information regarding nursing home care.
- The U.S. Government Accountability Office. The GAO reports to Congress on problems in the country’s nursing homes. These reports are available at the GAO website.
- Medicare – Medicare provides comprehensive information on elder care and research on nursing homes.
- AARP – the AARP has a wealth of information on issues related to aging and elder care.
- The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services information on aging and related issues
- Alzheimer’s Association – Information and resources for Alzheimer’s patients and their families.
- Compare dialysis facilities
- Comparing physicians
- Comparing hospitals
- Comparing in-home care organizations
Colorado General Resources – The following links will direct you to general resources that are specific to Colorado.
- Colorado Supreme Court Self Help Forms – The Colorado Supreme Court Self-help page. This page gives access to various legal forms required to begin legal actions.
- Colorado Bar Association Brochure: Estate Planning
- Colorado Bar Association Brochure: Wills in Colorado
- Colorado Bar Association Brochure: Advance Medical Directives
- Colorado Bar Association Brochure: Financial Powers of Attorney
- Colorado Bar Association Brochure: Living Trusts
- Colorado Bar Association Brochure: What to Do When Someone Dies
- Colorado Bar Association Brochure: Probate in Colorado
- Colorado Secretary of State – Business Center